In June I was able to spend a weekend shooting at the stunning Montgomery Creek Ranch, Wild Horse Sanctuary. My dear friends Ellie Phipps Price and Chris Towt are the founders of MCR in Stoneyford, CA.
I first 'finally' visited in April for their Open House but wasn't able to stay for long. It felt great to go back and be able to immerse myself into the land, the horses, and the...more
We had an amazing event up in Incline Village, Nevada for the American Wild Horse Campaign.
My gratitude to Molly Kingston for opening up her stunning home and producing this exceptional event. The first of many we anticipate. Awareness and funds were raised for @freewildhorses. New friends and supporters were made and the...more
In January, AWHC videographer Michael Alfuso and I flew out to Salt Lake City to spend a few very cold days on the Onaqui range with the wild horses who call this area home. Traveling to the high desert in the winter is challenging to say the least. But we made it in and out each day(no camping in the winter) with just a few close call moments in ice, slush and ice again conditions.
All in an effort to help launch the...more
- With so many issues to support these days, feel with your heart and support something that is meaningful to you. Our planet and humanity need us strong and healthy, it is crucial to our future survival. Forget focusing on what isn’t right, find a place, big or small to make it right by making a difference...to something that matters to you.
- Be Grateful. Donate. Sponsor....
- You can help support wildness by ordering this t-shirt from Float.org - a conscious company with a mission of giving back!
- THIS OFFER IS FOR THIS WEEK ONLY
- The graphic was created from this image below, a stunning family band that was, at the time, living wild and free in the Wyoming high desert. Located near the continental divide,...
- In the coming days the fate of wildness is literally at stake - their lives are on the line. Tens of thousands of wild horse may ship to slaughter, make no mistake, someone will be making a massive profit from this. It is not a solution, it is a business.
- The mustang is as American as baseball, apple pie and the bald eagle. But the Trump Administration has just asked Congress for permission to slaughter tens of...
- The vision of the designers and the hospital was one of healing. Bringing the elements of mother nature inside to promote a calm and soothing environment for the patients and their families. They had the forethought to want a space that would lend itself to a positive and supportive atmosphere. The Stamford Hospital in Connecticut opened last fall. All 600 pieces of fine art were curated by Art & Interiors, Kathy Sachs and...
The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future.
This year has been saturated in loss and grief, feeling like my heart is busted on the floor, evaporating like water. That the ground beneath no longer exists and the air has all but left the universe. Through pain and hurt, the medicine of wildness, again, has shown...more
If you find yourself in Austin, TX this fall...
'Nuzzle' is now a permanent installation featured in all of the "Archer King Suites". The lobby features an installation of a beautiful herd of running wild mustangs ~ Honored to be part of this project and very excited to visit this beautiful hotel completed soon. Working with the designer and LodgeWorks has been such...more
(v.) to do something with soul, creativity, or love; to put something of yourself in to your work.
Somehow, somewhere I ran across this word and stopped in my tracks. It brought tears to my eyes. It is something that feels so authentic to me it hurts, yet still, sometimes does not feel like it's "enough". We can of course always do more, do better and strive to leave only beautiful footprints....more
Yes, a little late with the New Years wishes and resolutions...but it gives us a chance to remember it was just a few weeks ago we were drinking champagne, egg nog, and spending precious family time together - thinking ahead to our visions and dreams for the year.
2014 was a big year. Having my boy come back from foundational training from LS Ranch and having a horse to ride was such a gift and a blessing I never took for granted. I...more
- Rest in Peace Mystic
- Mystic was a noble and lead stallion in one of the first bands Neda DeMayo brought to Return to Freedom. His band from the Hart Mountain in Oregon were of the last remaining horses to roam there...they no longer exsit in the wild.
- Mystic, along with his son Christopher Robin, a bachelor named George(RIP) Cayuse,...
N U R T U R E
Wyoming Mustang Stallions ~ Great Divide Basin ~
Drinking from the well of life...time at the watering hole is equally as sacred for me as it is for them. Stallions challenge for first rights to water, many times as the challenge ensues, a confident mare will take the family band on in to drink. This stallion with an older bachelor stallion had done just that.
Watching them, you could feel the essence of...more
I ADORE fall, I'm usually out somewhere in the west, having my last shoot of the year, enjoying the soft pink light, warm but not stiffling hot days and our remaining western wild horses...this year I did something a lil different. Seeing these horses has been a dream for so many years. I'm so grateful to have finally been able to make it happen(there were challenges).
Having seen wild horses in so many different regions, one thing...more
Labor Day weekend? How did we get here?...Its been awhile since I have written...usually something sorta "hits" me and I feel the desire to share thoughts or experiences. 2014 has proven to be a bit more "inward". Time has been spent on the ranges, and more trips are planned before years end. I'm with my horses everyday, riding again is the best thing EVER~ new galleries, new work and time with my thoughts...thoughts about the future ~...more
- Truly an American Icon...the horses and the man...Robert Redford. Talking with Mr. Redford about this herd showed his passion and commitment to the issue that he so graciously has given his time to.
- I'm beyond honored that this piece is now in his private collection.
- Thank you to...
I have always enjoyed this magazine so it is such an honor to have been included in this months issue of ORGANIC SPA. An enormous thank you to Zoe Helene not only for her support of my work but who is so moved by this issue wild horses are currently facing. Very grateful for her commitment and efforts in trying to make a difference.
I hope you can pick one up at your local Whole Foods or any of the many locations this magazine is...more
Its February 1st, the Chinese New Year has officially started...the YEAR of the HORSE. Earlier today I ran across this long sleeve white t-shirt that was made for me back in February 2002. I literally hadn't laid eyes on it in years(scary...as my closet is NOT that big). I was fortunate to travel to China to visit a friend and book work on a TV show called Flatland starring Dennis Hopper. Not realizing I was arriving on the first night of...more
Enjoy this Wondrous Season
with Freedom & Grace
May hope fill your heart which fills your home
May riches unknown become your own
May you walk with lightness and know your way
May love surround each and every day
May you realize the blessings you already possess
and be moved to share with those who have lessmore
Written by Zoe Helene of the Huffington Post. She is another perfect example of how voice, art and the written word can help make a difference. Thank You Zoe ~ My gratitude for your belief, dedication and what you have done is enormous.
If you enjoy this article PLEASE leave a comment on the Post's site...they monitor these comments and the issue will gain momentum if they see that people are moved to care ~
May further awareness...more
Extremely excited for this upcoming show in Tulsa, wish you could all join me there. To everyone who has been part of this journey you'll be there in spirit, I know...Thank You. I say that with a huge heart...thank you. This show, my hope, is the start of something I have been dreaming about for years, literally a dream, set into action, moving into reality...looking forward to sharing that vision in the coming months...until then...more
The recent months have truly been a whirlwind...I'm very used to this time of year being on the go but this year has been different...
In May I visited the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary in SD. 13k acres of ruggid and rich territory, steeped in history and heritage with two people who work tirelessly to keep it afloat, Dayton O. Hyde...more
In personal news ~ I have adopted a wild horse from the Great Divide Basin of Wyoming. I have been to this area twice and will be back in June. Although all my wild horse trips are wonderful, personal and deeply spiritual, this area was so special to me. The horses were amazing and just seemed to turn up and present themselves more than I ever could have imagined. A gorgeous grey stallion, forever embedded on my heart was one of the most...more
:: Grace & Poise ::
Young Wyoming Wild Filly
This badly wounded filly could not move swiftly, her family was not about to leave her side. Her father, a grey stallion whom I deemed my "unicorn" was thankfully a leader, a strong stallion with the absence of scars or battle wounds on his regal body. His harem, all grey mares, his offspring, all grey. Not a stitch of color in the herd, ethereal...more
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
:: Such an emotional topic and it should be ::
Oklahoma is close to re-opening a slaughter plant, New Mexico close behind. Those that know me, know I am vehemently against this. I have listened to and read the aurguments from those PRO slaughter with an open mind. I have watched video footage of a horse...more
The colors, sights and smells of fall are now upon us here in Central, CA. Always my favorite time of year. The crisp coolness that surrounds you is invigorating and inspiring. I love walking with my mare in the evening, the ground crunches beneath her hooves and the colors that drape her thickening coat are saturated by the evening sunset. Tonight as she let out a faint whinney to the neighboring yearlings playing in the field, steam...more